Budget Proposals Consultation 2022-23

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin Email this link

The Council is setting out proposals which will form part of its budget in 2022/23. A report was considered by the Council’s Cabinet on Tuesday 14th December when these were discussed. The report can be found here

The Council’s existing budget aims to maintain front-line services to Coventry citizens, continue to support the most vulnerable people in the city and promote the growth of a sustainable Coventry economy. The financial position presented assumes that there will be some additional funding from Government next year, increased resources from tax revenues and some additional income from the Council’s commercial activities. Most of these extra resources will be needed to reduce an existing budget shortfall, to meet the costs of rising inflation and to pay for increasing costs from organisations that supply services such as social care to the Council. The proposals do make extra budget available to protect vulnerable children in the city and extra investment in a small number of core services such as street cleaning and pavements repairs.

The proposals do not present a fully balanced budget at this stage but further work is expected to identify measures to do this in time for the final Budget Report in February. It is not expected that there will be any need to cut services to achieve this.

In addition to these proposals the Council is investing in the regeneration and the growth of the city and the report sets the Council’s broad capital spending plans for the year.

The report proposes a Council Tax increase of just under 2 per cent plus a precept to pay for Adult Social Care of 1 per cent. Both of these are in line with Government guidelines. For the majority of Coventry households the overall increase of just under 3 per cent would mean an annual increase of around £41 – the equivalent of around 80p per week. The final Budget proposals and Council Tax increase will be subject to Council approval in February 2022.

Where the Money Goes

The following diagram showing the total amount that the Council spends on some of its key services every day.


Comments are very welcome by taking part in the following questionnaire. The deadline for the survey is 8th February 2022.

The Council is setting out proposals which will form part of its budget in 2022/23. A report was considered by the Council’s Cabinet on Tuesday 14th December when these were discussed. The report can be found here

The Council’s existing budget aims to maintain front-line services to Coventry citizens, continue to support the most vulnerable people in the city and promote the growth of a sustainable Coventry economy. The financial position presented assumes that there will be some additional funding from Government next year, increased resources from tax revenues and some additional income from the Council’s commercial activities. Most of these extra resources will be needed to reduce an existing budget shortfall, to meet the costs of rising inflation and to pay for increasing costs from organisations that supply services such as social care to the Council. The proposals do make extra budget available to protect vulnerable children in the city and extra investment in a small number of core services such as street cleaning and pavements repairs.

The proposals do not present a fully balanced budget at this stage but further work is expected to identify measures to do this in time for the final Budget Report in February. It is not expected that there will be any need to cut services to achieve this.

In addition to these proposals the Council is investing in the regeneration and the growth of the city and the report sets the Council’s broad capital spending plans for the year.

The report proposes a Council Tax increase of just under 2 per cent plus a precept to pay for Adult Social Care of 1 per cent. Both of these are in line with Government guidelines. For the majority of Coventry households the overall increase of just under 3 per cent would mean an annual increase of around £41 – the equivalent of around 80p per week. The final Budget proposals and Council Tax increase will be subject to Council approval in February 2022.

Where the Money Goes

The following diagram showing the total amount that the Council spends on some of its key services every day.


Comments are very welcome by taking part in the following questionnaire. The deadline for the survey is 8th February 2022.

Page published: 15 December 2021, 09:11